Watch Chef Cheryl Dent make this classic dish in the KD101 test kitchen and learn the trick to making it lunchbox friendly.
TELL US: What's your favorite local restaurant for a healthy take on a classic dish?
Macaroni and Cheese With Broccoli
Cook time: 1 hour
- 1 pound elbow macaroni
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk, heated
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3/4 cup ricotta or small-curd cottage cheese
- 3 cups shredded gouda
- 2 cups sharp cheddar
- 1 ½ cup broccoli, blanched and chopped
- Salt, pepper
- 1/2 cup panko crumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 12x9 baking dish and set aside.
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente and drain. Return the pasta to the pot or a large bowl.
- Add butter, hot milk, ricotta, cream cheese, jack cheese, gouda and broccoli. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Fold in all ingredients until well incorporated.
- Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle with panko and bake until golden brown (45 minutes).
More from Kitchen Daily:
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
How to Make Perfect Mashed Potatoes
15-Minute Dinner: Angel Hair Pasta with Shrimp
This article is part of Mix It Up, an editorial series created in collaboration with AOL's Kitchen Daily and Huffington Post. It is dedicated to making the lives of mothers easier through articles, videos and slideshows focused on simple and creative solutions to everyday challenges. From healthy recipes to exciting ideas for a more balanced lifestyle, this section aims to become a resource for moms everywhere.