It's WEDNESDAY, March 9, 2011. Around these parts, we call it Mom's Day, because each Wednesday Martinez Patch features stories and items that we hope will be of interest to caregivers of any gender, but especially moms. This morning at 6 a.m., we'll feature Frugal Family, which is a list of deals and specials around town to help you stay on budget. At noon we'll have the popular feature Whiz Kid, which will highlight a local kid legend. At 1 p.m. it's Mom's Talk, a discussion based on a topic of interest to (yes) moms. And at 4 p.m., it's the Grab and Go calendar, a look at places to take the kids this weekend. Mixed in with all these features will be the news. So stay tuned. Meanwhile:
- The City Council holds a tonight at 6 p.m. in which it will discuss (with a facilitator) what the city should accomplish over the next two years, given the shrinking pot of money and the growing demand for services. One can see why members would need a facilitator.
- Snap to: It's the second Wednesday of the month, which means a meeting of the This is a great way to learn camera skills and meet people with a similar interest. Whether you have a point and shoot, or a snazzy DSLR, these are folks you want to hang out with.
- Oh, and happy ! Yes, nationally this holiday happens on the last Friday of April, but in Martinez, it is on today and Thursday by proclamation of the mayor. And to celebrate, the Recreation Department is having a special program at for little ones, who will learn to, um, branch out. No, they will make special tree-related items and learn about the history of the park, and of Arbor Day.
- Do you have your tickets for Martinez Opera Company's production of "" yet? It will be performed Saturday and you sure don't want to miss it. It's the first production of this opera in Spanish.
- Do you like original songs by local songwriters? Curious who is working away on the next hit and what that hit sounds like? Then you should come to tonight for the West Coast Songwriter's Competition, which features great writing and musical talent coming together to strut their stuff. It starts at 7 p.m.