Today is MONDAY, June 13, 2011. It was finally summer this weekend, as bicyclists and picnic-goers took to the streets and parks, shopped at the farmers market and generally took to the outdoors. It's nice to have the sun back in our lives, and it looks like it's here to stay for a while. In the meantime,
- Over 500 bicycle riders gathered in the parking lot of Shoreline Regional Park yesterday to participate in the second annual event. This ride is a benefit for the Special Olympics, and is sponsored by four police departments -- El Cerrito, Pinole, Oakland and Martinez. The event raised upward of $70,000 for Special Olympics, and introduced a lot of people to the charm and beauty of our fair city. Riders took a 25-mile loop across the Carquinez Bridge and the Martinez/Benicia Bridge, and could not have picked a better day for it. Congratulations to all those who participated.
- The Alhambra Hills Open Space Committee had a kick off picnic yesterday at Susana Street Park, and you can see some of that event later today on Martinez Patch. This is a group dedicated to the purchase of the 300-acre parcel called Alhambra Highlands, to keep the property open space (it's now slated for 120 homes on 70 acres).
- The Board meets tonight at 7 p.m. at the district offices. Among the agenda items are a review of the technology integration plan, the addition of a licensed vocational nurse to the district, the addition of a calculus class at the high school, and an agreement with the Sodexo company to continue providing food service to the district. The board meets in the district office, 921 Susana Street.
- The Planning Commission meets tomorrow night to discuss a proposal by T Mobile to add celluar antennas to an existing electrical tower at Hidden Valley Park. The commission meets at 7 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers, 525 Henrietta Street.
- The City Council meets Wednesday to discuss, among other things, adopting the budget for the next two fiscal years. The meeting begins at 7 p.m. in the City Hall Council Chambers, 525 Henrietta Street.