The Martinez Arts Assocation needs artists in the Martinez/Pleasant Hill area to open their studios and workspaces to the public for two days, Saturday, May 12 (11am to 6pm) and Sunday, May 13 (11am to 4pm).
Open Studios is an opportunity to show and sell your work while meeting face to face with your patrons. It’s free to the public and allows them to get a behind-the-scenes look into artists' creative spaces. We encourage artists to offer scheduled demonstrations (date and time) of their techniques to educate and entice the public. Demonstration information (date, times, location, technique or process being demonstrated) will be posted on the brochure and website. This is a non-juried event open to all mediums and you do not need to have a studio to participate. If you do not have a studio accessible to the public, there will be spaces available to share with other artists.
The event begins with an Opening Artists’ Reception and Group Exhibition of participating artists that will take place Friday, May 11, 2012 from 6pm to 9pm.
DATE: The weekend of Mother’s Day
Friday, May 11 - Opening Artists’ Reception and Group Exhibition 6-9pm,
I’ve Been Framed, 411 Ferry St., Martinez, CA 94553
Saturday, May 12 - 11am to 6pm
Sunday, May 13 - 11am to 4pm
DEADLINE: Monday, April 2, 2012.
$25 Martinez Arts Association (MAA) Member
(Click here to become a MAA member, the cost is $25 and it helps support local artists by sponsoring really cool events like this one).
A fully refundable $100 deposit will be required with your application. This deposit is to ensure a successful event with full artist participation. If an artist withdraws from Open Studios after April 1, 2012, the deposit will be forfeited. The deposit will be refunded after the event.
Artists are also required to volunteer for one or two tasks of your choice such as sign making or art hanging. A list of these tasks will be provided at a later date.
What You Get:
• A listing in the brochure that includes your name, address, medium, location on the map and one full color image of your art. If you will be doing art demonstrations, a calendar listing times and locations may be included in the brochure if space allows.
• A listing on the MartinezOpenStudios.org website that will include your photo, artist bio and/or statement, up to 10 samples of your work, a calendar that shows times/dates of any art demonstrations you’re doing, in addition to all the information on the brochure (your name, address, medium, location on the map). Visit “Artists” page for an example.
• 15 – 25 brochures to mail/handout to patrons, friends and family
• 15 – 25 postcards announcing Open Studios
• 2 street signs
• A space in the Group Exhibition to display one art piece
• Promotion via MAA to include:
- press releases in Martinez Patch, Martinez News Gazette, Contra Costa Times and Community Focus
- Main Street Martinez and Chamber of Commerce listings
- Announcements in MAA newsletters and website
- Facebook page/event
- Possible freeway billboard announcement
We highly encourage artists to promote themselves. Help will be available to anyone needing the creation of personalized promotional material.
If you think you are interested:
We will be forming a group to discuss ideas and finalize details. We’d love to have your input! If you’d like to participate (in Open Studios and/or the group) or need more information, click the button below or email info@MartinezOpenStudios.org.